Automatic Chicken Door HOWTO
No it will not hurt a chicken
No video of the event yet, sorry!
In this talk I'll show you how I created a raspberry pi-powered chicken door using only Free Software. You can use this knowledge to get inspired to create your own automated hardware+software systems. I'll go over these features:
- hardware interleave gravity lock mechanism
- instant-read photoresistor poll door actuation trigger
- photoresistor signal analog to digital conversion
- worm gear 12V DC motor controlled via L9110 motor driver chip
- dual hall-effect magnetic door position sensors
- fallback door status mitigating magnetic sensor failure
- night-vision wide-angle camera with motion-triggered video capture
- C + bash + python polyglot control code with standardized output convention
- offline operation with 2.4Ghz wifi for monitoring and maintenance
I'm a hardware beginner, so this is a beginner talk in terms of hardware. I know just enough about hardware to ask someone smarter how to not make everything start smoking.
I've been writing software for about 20 years, so I want to get into some detail about the software.
This talk isn't about carpentry--you'll have to ask my wife about that.
- 2017 October 6 - 13:00
- 20 min
- Room 3184
- Seattle GNU/Linux Conference 2017
- Python Packaging and Dependency Management in the Real World
- Start Time:
- 2017 October 6 13:00
- Room 3179